2 lt vegetable stock
50 ml pure Olive Oil
50 g Butter
1 medium - sized onion, finely chopped.
300 g Arborio rice
100 ml good white wine
300 g Beetroot, peeled and cubed
100 g Parmesan cheese, grated
Salt and Pepper to season.
The garnish: a handful of rocket leaves.
- Simmer the vegetable stock in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Heat the oil and butter in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. Sauté the onions till they turn opaque, and then add the Arborio Rice. Stir well until the rice is coated with oil and is shiny.
- Add the wine and cook over high heat till the liquid has been absorbed.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the cubed beetroot and a ladle of simmering vegetable stock. Continue adding the simmering stock to the rice, a ladle at a time, adding the next ladleful once the previous ladleful has been absorbed. Stir continuously.
- Continue adding the stock and stirring for about 20 minutes, till the rice is cooked but retains a ‘bite’. The consistency of the risotto should be soupy and not too stodgy.
- Add Parmesan cheese, and season with salt and pepper, finish with soft butter.
- Mix well and serve with a handful of rocket leaves as garnish.